Coffee liqueur tastes really good. You must be heading over to some coffee shop every time you are craving for it. It is an ultimate delight to have with your family or friends. And you know what? It’s no need to go to café every time as you can now prepare delicious coffee liqueur at home only.
It is quite similar to those brands where you go and lose your pockets to have that luscious liqueur. Making it at home is easy, lip-smacking and of course inexpensive. Now you won’t have to spend 30$ for it as you just need instant coffee, grounded coffee or decaffeinated coffee. It’s your choice in which coffee you want to make coffee liqueur. I am listing down the things you need to make this delicious treat:
- A jug or a pitcher
- Stirring stick
- A bottle for storage, preferably with airtight lid
- Saucepan - heavy base
Let’s move on to the section where you will be learning the basics of making coffee liqueur at home:
The main idea behind preparing coffee liqueur lies in making a strong coffee mixed with sugar. Put liquor and vanilla to it and let it rest for a month. Store it and here you go. Take a look:
- Buy extra strong coffee to get the most out of its flavours and aroma.
- Put granulated sugar, crystal sugar or brown sugar.
- Add vanilla extract or vanilla beans.
- Pour brandy, rum, vodka, dark rum or any combination of these.
- Let it sit for one month before consuming it. Store it in an airtight bottle.
I would be mentioning three methods of making coffee liqueur today.
Method 1: Grounded Coffee
First, let us make coffee liqueur using grounded coffee. Here go the ingredients:
- 2 cups of vodka
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups grounded cofffee
- 2 cups brown sugar
- Make a strong coffee, really strong to get rich coffee liqueur. Use French press to make coffee. I made it using a French press as it brings out the perfect flavours of coffee which make you feel lively. Plus, to make coffee liqueur, I used French roast coffee.
- Once when you are done with making the coffee, take it out in a glass jar. Now include some brown sugar in it and stir the mixture well to let it blend. When it gets dissolved completely, let it cool down. Keep it aside for few minutes and then add vanilla extract in the cool coffee. Put vodka and stir the mixture well to make all the ingredients mix well. Seal the glass jar with an airtight lid.
- If you don’t have vanilla extract, use vanilla bean instead. All you need to do is split one bean in length and put it in the cool coffee. After a month’s storage, take the bean out from the coffee.
- Now keep the glass jar sealed in some cool place where direct sunlight cannot reach. Store it for at least a month. Once in every week, open the jar and using a wood spoon or a metal spoon, stir the mixture well.
- After having the coffee stored for a month, stir the coffee liqueur and keep it in a bottle.
Kahlua says that coffee liqueur is made of caramel, sugarcane, rum, vanilla and 100% Arabica coffee beans. And Tia Maria says that delicious coffee liqueur is made of Jamaican rum, Arabica coffee beans, vanilla, sugarcane and chocolate.
But no recipe is known to us. Their recipes of making coffee liqueur are known to them only. Of course, why would they tell anyone? It’s their monopoly of preparing such a lip smacking treat. Guys, don’t worry as you will also have the delicious liqueur. Just follow the above method and you will have it definitely.
Method 2: Instant Coffee
Now let us use another method of making coffee liqueur using instant coffee. Here are the ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups of vodka
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup instant cofffee
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- Use any instant coffee depending upon your choice and taste. Take a pan and add brown sugar to it mixed with hot water. Stir the mixture well after adding instant coffee to it. Put it down and let it cool for few minutes. Take the coffee out in a jar and mix vodka and vanilla extract to it. Mix it well with a stirring spoon. Let the ingredients blend in well with each other to ensure the rich flavour come out.
- If you don’t have vanilla extract, use vanilla bean instead. Split one bean in length and put it in the coffee. Take the bean out from the coffee after a month..
- Store the mixture in a jar and keep it away from sunlight. Don’t forget stirring the mixture once a week. Use only a wooden or metal spoon while stirring.
- Now the coffee liqueur is all set to be bottled. Take a funnel and a bottle to strain the liqueur. Let the coffee liqueur pass through the funnel into the bottle.
- TA-DA, coffee liqueur is ready
Method 3: Brandy and rum
Okay, now this is the last method of preparing coffee liqueur using the concoction of brandy and rum. Here goes the list of ingredients:
- Vanilla extract
- Instant coffee powder
- Brandy and rum
- Airtight bottle
- Pour some water in a pan.
- Pour vanilla extract, sugar and instant coffee powder to it.
- Let the mixture heat up while stirring it continuously till the ingredients get dissolved completely with water. Then put it down and let it cool.
- Add the combination of rum and brandy to this mixture.
- Here you nailed it!! Your coffee liqueur is almost done. Pour it out in a bottle and seal it for 3 to 4 weeks.
- Store the liqueur in a dark place to make the flavours blend properly in it. Consume it after 4 weeks.
I hope you enjoyed reading the article. Have coffee liqueur and enjoy your evening!!