Here’s How To Chop Food Like A Professional Chef!
A chef is known for its skills of cutting food faster and preparing dishes quickly. Chopping vegetables is a challenging task especially if you are not so much fond of it. And this is the reason why chefs are in much demand as they chop veggies in a blink of an eye. Faster chopping helps them to cook the meal quickly so this is a hot topic of debate among households on how to cut food faster.
However, it is not that tough as regular practice and easy tips can help you hit the target. You can learn to chop faster and quicker which then reflects in the quality of prepared dishes. Other than fast chopping, this article will help you learn cut evenly so that the food looks good when served because even shaped veggies look appealing than those messy and non-shaped vegetables.
In cutting and chopping food faster, knives have a major role to play. Knife skills are crucial to cut food faster and properly in even manner. Read below to find out how to chop food like a professional chef:
Correct Cutting Surface
You cannot chop vegetables perfectly on an uneven surface or worktop surface. Also avoid cutting on metal surface because knife can make scratches on it. For quick cutting, keep the knife edge sharp and use a plastic or wooden board to cut vegetables.
Never use glass for this purpose or the knife will lose its sharpness. Some people said wood board is good to cut meat whereas plastic is perfect for vegetables. However, wood has antiseptic properties so if you have any doubts; clean the board before every use.
Using the Knife
- Now, this is the most important thing to consider. In order to chop or cut food faster, buy a set of knives including chef knife, carving knife, paring knife and a boning knife.
- A carving knife is long straight blade much like a bread knife. Paring knife is smaller than all and used to cut small areas whereas a chef knife is a straight knife that has a curved front edge unlike paring knife. A chef knife is perfect to move back and forth while cutting meat or vegetables. This is one of the most difficult knives to learn for a common household.
- You need to hold the chef knife as if you are shaking your right hand or dominant hand with someone. Place your index finger near the top and side of the knife and avoid keeping it on the bottom of the knife handle. Such adjustment teaches you to learn rolling chop. Now, take the cutting board and keep the tip of the knife down while making the blade go forward and downward at once. The chef knife is well known for rolling through the food rather than landing flat on the board. All you need to do is while cutting food, just pick the blade from the board and not the tip.
- To practice rolling chop, start without vegetable. Keep it slow and then move on to faster chopping.
- If you want to cut small things like ginger or garlic, then use paring knife and keep your index finger at the bottom. Never-never cut using your fingertips or you will get your fingers cut while chopping vegetables.
- Put the vegetable piece like brinjal or any long vegetable on the board. Cut half lengthwise and lay both the sides in a way that the cut flat end is on the cutting board. Hold both the sides of the vegetable over the knife while cutting one half of it. You might be feeling somewhat unsure to do this, but trust me it’s pretty simple. Just do it and you will learn the method easily.
- Next, lift the blade and cut it lengthwise in even divisions. Make sure not to lift the tip while lifting the blade up. You may take some time to learn even vegetable cutting.
- Collect the vegetable and then chop them again horizontally in even divisions. I would suggest keeping your hand in claw form unless you don’t cut the entire piece. At the end, you will see small dices of the vegetable. With time, when you will learn the art of moving your subordinate hand in claw, the cutting will be faster and quicker, for sure.
- Repeat the same process for the second half. Vegetables like onions, carrots, potatoes and much more can be cut in dices beautifully but ensure to keep the root on top and cut them down the root.
- For the onions to be cut in very small dices, cut it horizontally before chopping. But do not cut it to the end and when you will turn it to cut across width, the onions will be smaller.
- A blunt and dull knife slips off your hand while cutting and can cut down your fingers too. So sharpen the knives time and again to cut the vegetables correctly and safely. If you want to become a professional chopper, consider investing in a knife sharpener to get rid of extra sharpening expenses over and over. Read the instruction manual before using the sharpener and sharpen the knives efficiently.
- Chefs suggest using a ceramic sharpener among whetstone and steel sharpener
- To wash the knife, use warm water with mild soap. Don’t keep wet knife inside but dry it first.
Boning knife is used to cut the meat faster because the purpose here is not to chop but extracting meat from bone. Do it carefully by figuring the meat from the bone surface.
Chef knife can also be used to cut meat but then you have to do it by cutting across the length and then across the width.
Hope you had a great time reading this article!!