Here’s How To Make Simple Meat Pie At Home!
Kids love to eat dishes that look delicious to their eyes. No matter what the taste is, if they like it in the first look then the dish is approved. And today, I am here to teach you how to make meat pies. It is a healthy snack for kids plus a good appetizer. Prepare some meat pies for your kids and if your family like them, let them also have it for fun treat together. Let’s make this easy and creative dish using amazing fillings.
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter or shortening
- 3 tbsp margarine or butter
- 1 cup chopped potato
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 ¼ cup beef troth
- 2 cups ground beef
- ½ tsp dried sage crushed
- 1 ½ cup carrots and peas (chopped)
- Take a bowl and add 1 ¼ cups flour, ¼ tsp salt and stir it. Keep the butter at cool temperature and cut it in large chunks to let it add in the mixture properly. The aim here is to get pea sized chunks. Or you can add the butter in a food processor and chop it unless you don’t get the appropriate size. If you don’t have a processor, use two knives to slice the butter or use a fork to do this.
- Next, add cold water in the mixture to make the dough loosely. The mixture should look like a loose ball i.e. neither too wet nor too damp. To make flaky crust of the pie, the dough must not be overworked. If it does, the crust will form tough. While mixing, there will be lumps so don’t worry and press them with fingers.
- Split the ball in two parts i.e. for top cover and bottom cover. It’s suggested to chill the dough in freezer before rolling it so as get the temperature down. If you want to freeze it for longer time, use a sealing bag and defrost it before using.
- Flatten the dough and roll it starting from the centre to the edges using a rolling pin. Make a circle of about 12 cms in diameter.
Make the Filling
- Now you need to cook the meat over medium heat by adding 2 cups ground beef with ½ cup onions. Use chopped garlic, thyme and cloves for seasoning, add salt. Stir it so as to mix the meat with spices and cook until it gets brown.
- Move the cooked meat to one side of the pan and remove the excess grease by tilting the pan a little.
- Add 1 chopped potato and 1 ½ cup carrots and peas in the meat pan with 1 ¼ cup beef broth.
Make Whole Meat Pie
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then roll the pie crust using a rolling pin. Once rolled, shift it to the dish. You may need to trim the crust about ½ inch and extra pastry will be folded inside to create thick crust.
- Now the filling you made needs to be added in the dough lined pie dish. Don’t overfill the dish.
- Roll a circle of dough and place over the pie. Now is the time to attach both the sides of the dough by pinching the edges of bottom and top layer of it. If any excess dough is seen, cut it off with a knife.
- Use a fork to prick the top cover to let the steam escape while cooking. With melted butter, brush the top so as to keep it moist.
- Keep the pie in oven for 45 minutes unless the top doesn’t turn golden brown. Here you go with the meat pies. Let it cool for sometime before serving it.
Try Variations of Pies
We used ground beef in the above recipe. But meat pies are not limited to only this but ground pork, turkey, chicken can also be used. It’s your choice on which meat you like to go for. To be more creative, use varieties of meat in one dish. You can add bacon in the meat and put Italian sausage in the pie filling. Or you can also try veal, lamb or tuna flakes as well.
Before adding the filling, the meat must be properly cooked or it will not taste as good as it can be.
Make Mincemeat Sweet Pie
Let’s add some additional ingredients to make a sweet meat pie. These ingredients are to be added in the filling:
- 6 ounces dark brown sugar
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground clove
- 2 ounces dried cherries (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 ounces of raisins
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 4 ounces of dried figs (chopped)
Now, after you add these ingredients, allow some heat to the meat pie. You can mince 2 garlic cloves with 1 jalapeno chilli to add in the filling other than these ingredients. While cooking ground beef, you can add 4 tsp curry powder, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper and ½ tsp turmeric as seasonings. It will make a delicious meat pie, of course.
Be creative and your kids will love you for this. They will flaunt you in front of their friends and you will feel good. You are free to use anything in preparing meat pies as long as they can influence the taste in a better way.
There is nothing wrong in getting creative. Add refried beans, cheddar cheese, brown lentils or anything, just anything. Always experiment and you never know when you will come up with an utterly delicious meat pie or any other meat dish. So let’s try our hands on and prepare some healthy and luscious dishes.